It’s hard to believe the holidays are here, but they are! If your holiday season is anything like mine then you are probably super busy, which can in turn lead to feeling stressed. I am no expert, but here are a few tips (in no particular order) that I find helpful for managing stress during the most wonderful time of the year!
1. Make time for yourself every day. Go for a run, read a book, take a nap, etc. Whatever makes you happy, do it, even if you can only squeeze it in for a few minutes!
2. Learn how to say no. This is easier said than done and I’m still working on this myself. Sure we’d like to go to every event on our calendar, but there aren’t always enough hours in the day to fit in everything you want to do. So prioritize your activities, do what you can, and be present in the moment instead of worrying about rushing to the next thing.
3. Exercise frequently. The endorphins released during exercise can calm down the body, relieve stress and boost mood. Exercising even for just a small amount of time can have a positive effect on the body.
4. Get enough sleep. It is important, especially during this hectic time of year, to make sure you’re giving your body the rest it needs so it can function at it’s best. Without an adequate amount of sleep the body can become run down, which can lead to sickness. And no one wants to be sick during the holiday season!
5. Take deep breaths. When things get stressful I find it helpful to do some deep breathing exercises. Sit up tall, breathe in through your nose, hold for 7 seconds then exhale out through your mouth for 7 seconds. Do 3-5 sets.
Wishing you all a happy and healthy holiday season! Do you have any rituals you do to manage your stress? Share them below in the comments!