Lately I’ve been doing a bit of traveling for work. One of the hardest parts of traveling (for me anyway) is finding healthy options to eat. The”easy” options that are made available are usually highly processed and full of sodium, sugar, & other ingredients your body doesn’t need and I usually don’t have the option to cook in my hotel room. So how can one eat healthy when traveling? Here are a few tips that have helped me eat healthy during my travels:
- Come prepared. Before you leave for your trip buy some healthy snacks to take with you. Some travel snack suggestions: fruit, nuts, purely elizabeth granola minis, vega protein individual serving packets, picky bars, individual serving packets of nut butter, and rice cakes are easy items to travel with.
- Hit up the salad bar. Making your own salad allows you to put in all the healthy options that you want. I love hitting up the Whole Foods salad bar any chance I get.
- Scout out restaurants. Look for restaurants in your area that have healthy options on the menu. Salads, veggies, lean protein, beans, and quinoa are some good options.
- Find out how the food is prepared. A healthy option, for example broccoli, can instantly become unhealthy if cooked in a stick of butter. Instead, see if they can cook your dish in olive oil and go light on the amount. Ask for sauces and dressings on the side so that you can control how much you put on.
- Choose grilled or steamed over fried. This is an obvious tip, but a reminder every once in a while never hurt.
- Eat dessert. Everything moderation of course ;).
How do you eat healthy when you’re traveling? Leave your comments below.